Thread: SC2K on W7 X64

SC2K on W7 X64

i feel like a secret agent with all that short forum...

any ways, i found SC2k and i went to install it to my W7 X64 computer. I checked the fine print and it says that it's fully compatible to Windows 100%, it loads up some what. i hit proceed then i hit install. it tells me that it will install so i hit ok. then nothing happens... i checked the computer manager and it's not running, so i try it again... nothing. so am i missing something? the game won't install is the problem here. thanks in advance...

City Advisor
    Blog Entries
    I checked the fine print and it says that it's fully compatible to Windows 100%...
    Keep in mind this game is 17 years old Even SimCity 4 has some troubles with new versions of Windows, it would be surprising if this worked without hacking it a little.

A quick search shows people have gotten the game to install by using modified registry files, but loading and saving a city seems to fail and crash the game anyway.

Still, others have had it work no problem apparently, so I don't really know what to tell you. Sorry.
    Whatever you do, don't click this link!!

Ok so i got it to work, but now i'm running into the problem where when i go to save my city... it just shuts down... nothing else happens, it just shuts down. any ideas?

So i'm having a problem saving, see when i go to save the game it just turns off... no warning no error message, it just turns off. i have no idea why... now... it might be the way i'm running the game, my friend gave me a copy that works, so i see no harm in it as I bought the game brand new... but still, i have an epic city going and it just shuts down instead of saving. any ideas why?

sorry if this is a repeat post... can't remember if i asked already.

City Advisor
    Blog Entries
    Like I said above, that seems to be the most major problem with getting SC2K to work properly on Windows 7. I couldn't find an explanation why or any way of fixing it, it just doesn't work right for some reason. It is just too old, it seems. (Keep in mind though that I also don't have the game, so I can't try for myself.)

If i were to mount the cd version onto dosemulator, would that allow me to play and save? if so... how do i mount the cd to it?

City Advisor
    Blog Entries
    I don't know if a CD can be loaded in that emulator or not, I've only used ISO images in a virtual drive, so I guess you'll have to read up on dosemulator to see if/how you can do that.

i'm having almost the same problems but if i just re install the whole thing will that work. but at the same time i want to save everything i have so far

Ads On Display
    Last edited by shanevic7; 08-12-2012 at 11:55 PM.

Install DOSBox
    Make a folder in your C: drive c:/dos

Run DOSBox

Mount c: c:/dos
    Mount d: (your CD/DVD drive)

Go to the DOS directory in your D drive and run the installer (it takes a while to install, you can CTRL-TAB out)

When it is done, run sc2k.exe

Thread Information