Thread: RCI vs zoning

RCI vs zoning

Hi everyone

I decided to remove dust from my Sim City 4 box a couple of days a go and I'm still stuck with the same questions I had 9 years ago when I decided to let the box get dust.

My biggest concern is the relation between RCI and zoning, especially residential and commercial. For example, if the CS$ is high, does that mean I have to add low density zone, or if the R$$$ is high, add some high density zone?

Please someone help me, I'm in the dark about that and I'd really like to have a good explanation on how RCI and zoning interact.

Thanks a lot

City Advisor
    Blog Entries
    Wealth and zone density don't relate to each other. R$ (low wealth residential) and R$$$ (high wealth residential) can build in any density zone, the only thing that determines which density you should build is what type of buildings you want to appear (small shops or huge skyscrapers). Keep in mind though that in the beginning of a city you should only build low density zones, which as said above will allow sims of all wealth to build. Only once your city is bigger (around 25-30,000) should you build high density zones to allow the bigger buildings.

Hope that clears it up a little.
    Whatever you do, don't click this link!!

Hey Infernus, a small question! Does larger CS§ buildings exist? Or do I really have to make large zones when my city starts becoming large to cater for the demand?

City Advisor
    Blog Entries
    It's been a long time since I last played, but I don't think there's anything bigger than 2-3 story buildings for CS$. It's pretty much just small shops. So, yep, zone lots! (of lots, that is...)

Thank you Infernus, yes it's helping me a lot and now I understand why I never been able to build any good city.

Maybe my box won't get the dust so fast this time

Quote Originally Posted by Infernus
    It's been a long time since I last played, but I don't think there's anything bigger than 2-3 story buildings for CS$. It's pretty much just small shops. So, yep, zone lots! (of lots, that is...)
    Haha, okay I understand. Hmm, that is a shame, but I guess that's why cities tend to spread so much... I know that high-density areas have normal - but high-density shops with several stores and such. Of course, that is just in down-town areas, but still!

City Advisor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhavens
    Thank you Infernus, yes it's helping me a lot and now I understand why I never been able to build any good city.

Maybe my box won't get the dust so fast this time
    Good to hear, hopefully it keeps you playing for a while

Quote Originally Posted by Builder
    Haha, okay I understand. Hmm, that is a shame, but I guess that's why cities tend to spread so much... I know that high-density areas have normal - but high-density shops with several stores and such. Of course, that is just in down-town areas, but still!
    Yeah, it's the old 'build out before building up' thing. Cities will tend to do that on their own anyway, it's not until later on when a city has well-educated people and the city has grown enough that 'real' companies come in and taller buildings start showing up. So, it kind of makes sense that poor shops are so small, nobody will build a 10 story building for a "Bob's Grease Pit".

I would!

Just kidding, I understand. I guess that if you keep it low-density, those bigger buildings do come up. However, those are just the bigger, maybe wealthier versions of the standard low-density shops.

Thread Information