Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Road and Zone Layout Tips

Hey gang, just joined tonite, and this forums looks pretty exciting! My first question is does anyone have a good raod/zone layout method that works? I've tried and had varying successes with different things, but I'll bet some of you have some great stuff. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    I don't know if it is the most efficent, but I have been using a 6x12 block layout. As far as zones go, always place commercial zones between industrial and residential zones. At the same time you want zones layed out such that communters don't have to commute far to get to the furtherst most industrial zones. To make more efficent use of schools and hospitals I try to make sure the circle of coverage for these items influance my placement of residential zones. If you go to the competition thread that is currently running, you will see several screen captures of different members' cities these could give you some ideas.
    Ken Barbalace - Mayor of SimCity Forum
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space
    My Google SketchUp 3D Warehouse collections

6x12 huh? That could be worth a try. I always sep. ind. and res by commercial too. When you do 6x12, do you use roads, and then just fill in the block without strets? How about using avenues. I was doing something like this:

A=ave -+|=road r,c,i (the usual) *=school, fire, pol. etc.

I|I|C|R|R|R|*
    I|I|C|R|R|R|*
    I|I|C|R|R|R|*
    AAAAAAAAAAAAA

Where each rci would be a block of four or so. I assume your do say 6 wide and 12 tall, that way the horizontal seperation between furthest ind. and res is shorter?

Blog Entries
    I use a 6x12 usually of a single zone type. Industrial is willing to build much further from roads, so I will often times place industry in a band along the edge of the city with as much as six or seven squares from the closest road.

I always build my cities on perfect grid pattern. I only deviate from a grid road system if absolutely necessary. I have been only using roads, one-way roads and avenues. Very often I will use opposing one-way roads rather than avenues. I don't use streets simply because they quickly become congested in my cities. In fact in some cities I end up using mostly one way roads and avenues simply to keep traffic under control.
    Ken Barbalace - Mayor of SimCity Forum
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space
    My Google SketchUp 3D Warehouse collections

That's very interesting. What do you do about highways/trains, etc. I have yet to really use highways, I think that unless you're connecting to another city, they're really not needed and take up a lot of ground space.

I use grids too, but what I find is that I have to repeat myself. For example, I might start on the right top of the board, create a grid with ind at the right, then going left, commercial, then res. But using 6x12 blocks, or 6x6 or whatever, I find I have to do another section or rci. Do you do the same, or do you make your zone sections large enough that one row will take the entire width of the board? I'd like to do that, because it's easier to keep track once the town grows bigger.

Well I personally dont use grids in my residential zones. I like to make suburbs that look more realistic than the grid. As for avenues/highways, I find myself using them all the time(at least in the larger cities). Once an avenue is used to the maximum, I ugrade it into a highway, which really helps with traffic problems.

As for trains I dont use them at all (except for elevated trains). If you place trains near an indutrial zone, chances are they wont even use it anyways... Because the industry always uses the fastest route out of the city to export goods, and most of the time, roads or a seaport will be the fastest.

So I may not be the best one to ask about grids since i try not to use them, but I can help you with your traffic problems, and other problems you have with your city.
    Sim City 4 rox my sox!

Well, what's wierd is, I've tried some things other people are sugesting, and getting little growth up front. I wish I had a sketch or something of a good city layout, but trial and error and advice will have to do. I've had some pretty large cities, but I'm after the best layout. How do you do your subur4bs?

Okay, first of all, I have made a very good griddy city before.. I'll try to post some pictures of it later tonight ok? Its worked really well with a lot of growth. Its hard to explain how it works though... (ill explain later with pictures)

As for how I do my suburbs, I usually build an avenue, and then off each side I will start a suburb. I completly make my own streets (some of which are later upgraded to roads) then I zone residential using the shift key (which gets rid of automatic roads) and it looks very realistic. I'll post some pictures of those too. Only when you zone high density residential do you not want to use suburbs for. then you can use the games roads (grid).

If you did not get all of that I understand. But remember, you will probably get it later when I post some pictures of what I'm talking about. Any more questions?
    Sim City 4 rox my sox!

Okay, here are some pictures of what I'm talking about:

The first three: as you can see I mix up the residential and commercial zones with all of the indutrial zones on the edges of the city (for shortest freight trips). By putting avenues in between all of my grids, it helps to keep down traffic. In the third picture you can see that every residential zone has its own education, police, fire, and health. This is a good grid stragety, but only works on large maps (theoreticly you could shrink it down to work on smaller maps)

The last two: These show my stragety for suburbs. Use plenty of trees, and always make your own roads. It makes it look very realistic. Oh and most of the time, you should use low residential and medium residential. Any questions you have, go ahead and ask.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	charlotte.JPG 
Views:	20446 
Size:	225.2 KB 
ID:	48   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	charlotte2.JPG 
Views:	18514 
Size:	239.2 KB 
ID:	49   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	charlotte3.JPG 
Views:	16503 
Size:	216.1 KB 
ID:	50   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	haven1.JPG 
Views:	15587 
Size:	178.8 KB 
ID:	51   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	haven2.JPG 
Views:	14530 
Size:	165.5 KB 
ID:	52  

Sim City 4 rox my sox!

Hmm, that's pretty , the burbs. Nice deviation in road layout and lots of trees. Too bad they take so long to grow.

Here's one: how do u make rivers. What I do is make a steep valley, or maybe a regular one, hitting shift 1 or 2 to decrease the brush. Thing is, the river or lake tend to be way down below the normal ground level, which sux. Wish there was a way to make them at the surface.

Thread Information