Dealing with air piollution

Hey gang,

Anyone out there have any good tips on getting rid of the air pollution you get over industry? I've een gone from dirty to manufacturing, mostly, and yet it still persists. I'm a tree fanatic, too. I put them everwhere, and if I have a 12x6 ind. zone, you can get that there's a 2x6 area of parks and grass aras where I plant trees. But how else can I get it down? Thanks.

Well, Manufacturing industry still produces pollution, its just slightly less than dirty industry. A good way to get rid of pollution is to encourage high tech industry as they produce very little pollution.

It sounds like you place lots of parks, so your okay there. I would suggest small areas of industry sepperated by a border of trees.
    Sim City 4 rox my sox!

Blog Entries
    What type of powerplants do you use. Powerplants can be the single biggest source of pollution. My advice is to use the cleanest most powerful plants you can buy and place them in the corners of your city.

Also implement all of the environmental related city ordances available to you. Another thing that will help reduce pollution is to improve traffic conditions. This means encouraging your Sims to use mass transit and to carpool.
    Ken Barbalace - Mayor of SimCity Forum
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space
    My Google SketchUp 3D Warehouse collections

Well, right now I've switched my power plants to 3 natural gas plants, which I believe are the best for pollution of the ones you get imediately (xcept wind, of course). My pollution is centered in the three main industrial zones now. I've set up water treatment plants, this helps water pollutions somewhat, but the air is my main problem. Traffic isn't really a problem yet, as I only have about 40K in this city. I will try to increase high tech tho, that should do a lot. Any more suggestions are of course always welcome. To be honest, I wish there were more people on this forums. It's a great game and this place is a great help.

Senior Resident
    To reduce the air pollution, you can put the law for the industry decrease it's pollution.

Plant more trees! (Plant them till the whole square's full up)

Place more parks!

Senior Resident
    Putting trees, parks and the law, you will can reduce the air pollution with success.

Lightbulb Air Pollution Tip

Quote Originally Posted by SCook
    Hey gang,

Anyone out there have any good tips on getting rid of the air pollution you get over industry? I've een gone from dirty to manufacturing, mostly, and yet it still persists. I'm a tree fanatic, too. I put them everwhere, and if I have a 12x6 ind. zone, you can get that there's a 2x6 area of parks and grass aras where I plant trees. But how else can I get it down? Thanks.
    Raising taxes to 15.0+% on dirty industry* before letting your Sims build, and keeping those taxes there, is an excellent way to keep air pollution levels low (I'd say doing this would reduce air pollution by up to 95%). It heavily drops your Sims' demand for dirty industry. I would also recommend lowering taxes on manufacturing and high-tech industries* to 3.0%; this may encourage your Sims to build them (it usually works for me). Manufacturing industries pollute less than dirty industries, and high-tech industries very rarely pollute at all. However, if you want high-tech industries, you'll want to place elementary schools, high schools, colleges, and probably even libraries in your city, because high-tech industries require a highly educated work force.

*I currently play SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition, and in the deluxe edition, you can raise and lower taxes on each occupant ($$$R, $CS, $$CO, manufacturing industry, etc.). However, if you play the original SimCity 4, I think you can only raise and lower taxes on residential, commercial, and industrial in general, so if you have SimCity 4 classic, don't perform this action. Keep with building parks, planting trees, and enacting the clean air ordinance.

Here might be another very good tip on how to reduce air pollution:

Before you let your city grow, place elementary schools, high schools, colleges, and libraries in it. At the very beginning, your Sims will probably be demanding dirty industries, so go ahead and let them build them. After a few years (I'd say three to five), your industrial demand will probably be on the rise. If this is the case, then your Sims are likely demanding manufacturing and/or high-tech industries. Keep a sharp eye on your RCI Demand graph every now and then. If you come to a time where your manufacturing and/or high-tech industry bars are high, pause your simulation, and demolish all of the dirty industries in your city (such as Farley's Foundries, burners and burning units [these are bigtime polluters], and steel sheds). This will greatly help reduce air pollution. After you've done so, resume your simulation. Your Sims will probably build manufacturing and high-tech industries.

I have to thank you for your advice on the pollution. I *ahem* used a cheat to put in the trees so it didn't detract my money. Anyhow, I do appreciate the help. Can someone also help me on how to make the law for pollution????

Thread Information