Thread: Some questions

Some questions

Seeing as how I've recently started playing SC4 again, I have a few questions (and keep in mind, I only have the original, not the expansion pack):

How exactly do you place public transport stations (especially subways) to be effective? Every time I try setting up public transport in my cities, I end up with constant ratings of 0-10% usage, regardless of how many I have, or where they're placed. Trains are about the only one I ever see working decently (reaching as high as 25%). Also, assuming I can get those things working, is it worthwhile to have multiple forms of public transport in the city? (buses, train, subway, etc)?

Also, how do you use freight train stations anyways? I've never been able to get them to work, so I assume you have to place them in certain places to be effective, but where?

The public attraction things (like parks, flower gardens, etc) what exactly do they affect? (land value, etc) Would it be just as worthwhile (and less costly) to just have a big patch of trees? For that matter, do patches of trees on unzoned land do anything?

Does planting trees on buildings (either public buildings, or on zoned land) do anything? Are its effects the same as being near unzoned land with trees?

Does the type of zone you place (low/mid/high density) have any effect on things BESIDES simply dictating what levels of buildings can be placed? (e.g., is low density residential prone to higher land values than high-density, even if single houses are all that's built?)

Gifts (like the radio tower and farmers market), do they have any real effects? Or are they just for show?

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks in advance for answers.
    Evermore Forums
    It's my site. Our focus is on videogames in general,
    but you can talk about anything there. Put Lancet Jades as your referrer!

Blog Entries
    Freight trains are only useful for Industry and do little good for other sectors. I found placing factories along the edges of a city with lots of road connections to other cities works great.

I always start my cities on a tightly structured grid layout I like using 6x12 blocks with a bus stop in the south west corner. I will then leave one box unzoned to the right (east) of the bus stop for a subway stop when I add a subway system later. I will use two or three avenues running east west and two or three running north south fairly evenly spaced to help over all traffic. Once a city starts to get really congested I will start converting roads to one way roads (alternating of course).

I never use low or medium density zones, I only use high density zones. This allows each area to grow as dense as it is willing to.

Here is an example residential city block for me:

R= Road
    B= Bus stop
    S= Subway stop
    P= park
    Z= Residential Zone

RRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    RZZZZZZZZZZZZR
    RZZZZZZZZZZZZR
    RZZZZZZZZZZZZR
    RZZZZZZZZZZZZR
    RZZZZZZZZZZZZR
    RBSPZZZZZZZZZR
    RRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Now in the game it looks really long not square but the letters are too tall and narrow.

I will very this basic layout as needed to add in schools, hospitals, police stations, etc.

The real key in saving money is to not put the subway system in until a city is really developed. With the subway system, I'll start with a grid pattern and then eventually add diagonal tubes to connect really high traffic areas and shorten cross town commutes. I've gotten some cities to the point where all modes of transportation are maxed out.
    Ken Barbalace - Mayor of SimCity Forum
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space
    My Google SketchUp 3D Warehouse collections

the only type of mass transportation i've ever seen to work is the ferryboat stations. I place a lot of bus stations in every crossings in town (all crossings with dark red traffic signs), I put laws to incentivate the use of public transport and etc. But i can only get 5% or 10% of usage. The citizens in this game could be a little more, uh.. smarter!

hehe

Blog Entries
    I'm going to be playing SimCity in a little bit and try to get some screen shots of my mass transit system of one of my cities. Lets just say there are so many buses running that it isn't safe to be a car. Its subway system looks like a tangled spiderweb of tubes.
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space

Whoa. That seems...

Nice!

Mine subways wont work either

Blog Entries
    Okay as promised here are some screen captures of my city Northfield from our 1st SimCity Challenge (http://simcityforum.com/showthread.php?t=160).

As you can see I have convinced a mess load of people to walk and/or take mass transit.

You'll also notice the crazy diagonal subway tubes I was talking about. Basically I use the traffic query tool to figure out where people are going and coming from at the most congested points of my transportation system and add new subway lines that try to make the shortest route possible between the two points. This has done wonders for increasing ridership on my "underground".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	City-view.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	279.8 KB 
ID:	157   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	City-zones.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	244.0 KB 
ID:	158   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Subway-view.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	237.9 KB 
ID:	159   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Subway-Closeup.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	310.3 KB 
ID:	160  
    Attached Images Attached Images              
    Last edited by Ken; 12-09-2006 at 06:21 PM.

Thanks for those answers

Anyone have answers for my other questions?
    Evermore Forums
    It's my site. Our focus is on videogames in general,
    but you can talk about anything there. Put Lancet Jades as your referrer!

Blog Entries
    I think the only way to monitor the affect of the different things is to look at the "desirability". I think that many of these things like radio and TV stations might have a negative local impact on desirability, but increase the desirability of a city overall. I always place TV and radio stations, but I always place them in low desirability areas like in industrial zones near waste water treatment plants or wast to energy plants (I don't want them taking up prime real estate).

I did toggle on and off the "nuclear free" ordinance the other day and I did see an immediate and marked upward jump in all RCI demand when it was toggled on.

My understanding of parks is that things like plazas are better for commercial zones while playgrounds, tennis courts, etc are better for residential zones.

Train stations are not needed for freight, they are only needed for passengers. Like roads any industrial zone touching a rail line can transport freight via the rail line.

I doubt planting trees does much, I also don't think the exact type of park matters that much. Sims just want some park land. I try to mix it up to make my cities a little more realistic and to keep it a little interesting.

Remember if you have Rush Hour, money is never really a long term concern as there is always evil Dr. Vu.

Thread Information