Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Building efficient road intersections

For many cities road congestion is a continual issue, but there are ways to mitigate this. One of the biggest sources of congestion can be poorly laid out road networks. In particular, opposing "T" intersections can cause tremendous problems. When laying out roads, it is important to avoid off set "T" intersections as much as possible even if this means losing a couple tiles to roads so that you can bring two opposing "T" intersections together.

Think of it this way, every intersection you have means another set of traffic lights to slow things down. If you merge two opposing "T" intersections you eliminate a set of traffic lights. Another problem with opposing "T" intersections is that it creates a small strip of roadway, which must handle the traffic load for both North/South and East/West traffic. This means that you have effectively cut the traffic capacity of that area in half. A good example of this is an older real life city where roads just kind of happened. If you've ever lived in one of these cities you will know that it can take two or three times as long to get through a pair of opposing "T" intersections than through a single cross intersection, in part because the traffic light timing becomes very complicated.

I've attached a screen capture showing a bad opposing "T" intersection with bus stop and subway station and the best way to bring these two intersections together. Notice that the bus stop stays at final resulting "+" intersection. This is because bus stops are more effective when they are at intersections.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ken Barbalace - Mayor of SimCity Forum
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space
    My Google SketchUp 3D Warehouse collections

Wow, that can really help Ken. The only thing is, is that I don't think I will ever use the "T" intersections, because I will usew the 6x12 tiles long zones. Besides, I could make some pretty interesting cities without ever using a "T" intersection.

Blog Entries
    On a 6x12 grid pattern, what will screw you up will be things like airports, stadiums, zoos, etc. Since these are too big for a 6x12 grid, you will have to go around them, which is where opposing "T" intersections would commonly be used. The modification above allows one to avoid these situations.
    Ken Barbalace - Mayor of SimCity Forum
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space
    My Google SketchUp 3D Warehouse collections

City Advisor
    Blog Entries
    On a 6x12 grid pattern, what will screw you up will be things like airports, stadiums, zoos, etc.
    What I typically do in that situation is just completely eliminate the road(s) that the structure occupies. Not too smart if you're overly concerned about traffic efficiency, but it doesn't seem to slow growth of cities much, and traffic usually isn't really affected that badly by taking out a couple of roads. I've always built my cities in a 6x10 grid pattern, which is similar to yours, just 2 squares shorter, and never really find myself detouring around things. I just go without.
    Whatever you do, don't click this link!!

Hah, I can see you guys are some real pros at this. When I came to this site, I didn't know where the commute time was in the praphs. That's kinda embarrassing because it was like, second on the list.

City Advisor
    Blog Entries
    Hey, you have to start somewhere. It took many many hours of playing to get good at this, and even now I still do not consider myself to be a pro. There is never an end to the learning experience in SimCity, you can never be perfect.
    Whatever you do, don't click this link!!

I agree fully on the building of as few intersections as possible. The more intersections you have, the slower the traffic goes. The same goes for railroads, monorails, and subways as well I believe.
    Sim City 4 rox my sox!

But you kinda have to make at least some + intersections, if you were meaning "+", and not "T" intersections.

yes, you do have to have intersection but + intersections are much much more efficient and reduce traffic and pollution.
    Sim City 4 rox my sox!

Of course. But I wonder they made it in the game like that?

Thread Information