Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Working on updating forum software

I'm in the process of updating SimCity Forum's forum software. At some point this weekend I'll have to put the forum into read only mode so that folks don't make new posts that end up getting lost when I switch over to the updated configuration.

Cross your fingers that this goes well.
    Ken Barbalace - Mayor of SimCity Forum
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space
    My Google SketchUp 3D Warehouse collections

Blog Entries

Working on updating forum software

I'm in the process of updating SimCity Forum's forum software. *At some point this weekend I'll have to put the forum into read only mode so that folks don't make new posts that end up getting lost when I switch over to the updated configuration. Cros...
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space

Good!

Everybody, brace for hyperdrive!

Good! Everybody, brace for hyperdrive!

City Advisor
    Blog Entries
    Cool! Good luck, see you on the other side!
    Whatever you do, don't click this link!!

Blog Entries
    UPGRADE STATUS UPDATE I'm doing the forum upgrade in a parallel build of SimCity Forum to reduce disruption here. *So far things are going pretty well, except my hosting provider doesn't yet support the version of MySQL needed for vB5 (plus vB5 is still...

Sounds good, except it will be slightly sad to lose Journals. It would be to have that for the new simcity, but maybe Journals could be implemented to it again in the future.

Blog Entries
    We'll have some stuff that is better than journals. *For instance there will be a blog that will replace the journal functionality and there is a CMS that will allow us to have static articles. *For instance some of the tutorials that are in forum thread...

Blog Entries
    I'm happy to report that we are on the other side and are now running on vBulletin 4.2.

As far as I know, no posts were lost. I have copies of the journals everyone made and would like to work with everyone to get their old journal entries reposted as blog posts.

For now we're running on the base vB forum skin with only the lightest of modifications. We also have all new header graphics based on SimCity 5 artwork EA Games has made available.

There is now a new forum called SimCity News Feed. This forum gets auto populated with SimCity news from around the web based on a Google News RSS feed. Right now, it updates once per hour, but I might adjust this as needed.

Another new feature is a mobile version of the forum. When users hit this site from a mobile device the site is automatically formatted for mobile devices and uses fewer images to save bandwidth.

City Advisor
    Blog Entries
    Wow!

This will take a while to sink in...looks very nice so far! Maybe a few kinks to work out (some double posts, posts cut off?), but otherwise very nice!
    Whatever you do, don't click this link!!

Thread Information