Question Air travel questions

So I'm finally set on building a good region, and as my first main city grows, I have some questions about air travel, since I want to allow my city to grow, and allow for easier travel around the region.

What city/region population should I have before I build a landing strip (should I start off small?)?

Also, I read somewhere that after a while, you will be asked if you want to 'upgrade' the landing strip to a higher capacity landing strip. I have never really been offered to upgrade a building for more capacity, if this is how I understand it. Is it physically upgrading it as it stands, or demolishing and building a new building, like upgrading schools, etc.?

Hopefully you all understand that second question...

City Advisor
    Blog Entries
    Hello, welcome to the forums! Sorry for the late reply, but I'll try to answer your questions.

For your first question, it should be noted that airports don't directly connect to or affect any other cities in the region than the one they are built in. That said, it is a great way to attract commerce to a city, and through good use of other region connections, that can have an influence on other cities in the region. When you want to build a landing strip/airport is really up to you, its effect could help demand in a small town, but you need to be able to afford it. And like I said above, it's mostly beneficial to commerce and attracting business, not so much for commuting/travel.

About the upgrading of airports, there are three stages to each airport. When you first build one it will be the "small" variant, and after a while (or right away, depending on demand) a news tip will appear asking if you wish to upgrade to the next stage to handle a bigger capacity. If you accept, the airport will automatically start rebuilding in the same spot as the bigger variant. After it reaches the "large" stage however, no more popups will appear asking for upgrade, and it's up to you to decide when to build the next size of airport, which has to be done manually by demolishing the old one and building the new. Hopefully I'm clear on that.
    Whatever you do, don't click this link!!

Thanks for the help I understand that all. I think I'll build my airport soon, as I am trying to increase my commercial population in the city.

Thread Information