Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Third party programs- water pipes

I was wondering if there are any third party programs I could use for simcity 4.

I'm having a problem with burst water pipes in rush hour, specifically with the slider to control water distribution, if I move it the slightest bit to the right it's too much, the slightest bit to the left too little, is there a program that would let me specify the water output by typing in the amount rather than using the god-awful, inaccurate slider?

Also how much is too much too little, water, is it ok to be a little over the demand, without pipes bursting?

Blog Entries
    You don't see bursting pipes because of too much water demand. You see bursting pipes because your budget is too low and pipes aren't getting repaired properly. What you see when demand out strips supply is sections of your city not getting water. The solution to this is to add more pumping stations.

Don't mess with infrastructure budgets, this is not a place to save money if your having budget problems because it will cost you in the long run.
    Ken Barbalace - Mayor of SimCity Forum
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space
    My Google SketchUp 3D Warehouse collections

You don't see bursting pipes because of too much water demand. You see bursting pipes because your budget is too low and pipes aren't getting repaired properly. What you see when demand out strips supply is sections of your city not getting water. The solution to this is to add more pumping stations.
    Actually I thought it was because I was pumping TOO much water out with my pump, thus causing them to burst. I have a water pump in my small city, rather than water towers, and it is more than capable of pumping out more than enough water then the city could need, just it's kind of screwy with the slider is all, which is why I want something where I can specify (by typing) the amount of water I want to output

Don't mess with infrastructure budgets, this is not a place to save money if your having budget problems because it will cost you in the long run.
    Do you mean as far as utilities are concerned, not all services? You certainly don't want to run a high school fully funded if it doesn't have that many students.

Hmm...I've never had this problem before as I did not mess with the sliders on the maintenance of the public utilities. All I know was I played with the sliders on the "Police Funding" and riots broke out later... The public utilities, to my knowledge, does not consume as much money as the power plants, the schools and the dreaded hospitals.

Blog Entries
    I usually modify budgets for schools, hospitals, police, etc. on a facility by facility basis to make sure each facility is meeting local needs. I usually keep a pretty good interlocking network of hospitals and schools. If I find one school or hospital that is over crowded while other overlapping hospitals are not running at capacity, I will reduce ambulance funding for the over crowded hospital. This will reduce the area it can service and normally helps shift patient load to the overlapping hospitals.

I've never had a problem with water pipes busting unless a city was going bankrupt and I couldn't pay to keep stuff maintained.
    Ken Barbalace - Mayor of SimCity Forum
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space
    My Google SketchUp 3D Warehouse collections

I'll check again, but I said it was because I am pumping out too much water, more than city needs, pretty simple, too much water pressure= burst pipes.

But, I still haven't played simcity 4 in a long time, as I can't figure out why my computer with way more than the needed specs still runs the game slower than continental drift. See my other thread for details.

All right girls and guys, a listing:
    Water and roads maintenance: don't mess with the funding. You will need to repair all the time and this costs more than you want.
    Electricity: put the funding just a bit over the demand. The only thing that can go wrong is that the electric wires start sparkling. Very incidentally they will start a fire (or maybe the wires will break? I never had this). Try to build your city in a way that you don't need the wiring. Or just ignore hte sparkling and the noise. I do this all the time. Never had a problem.
    Police and Firestations: don't mess, or else you wil have riots and fires.
    Prison: there is no danger in lowering the budget as long as you have more cells than prisoners.
    Schools, hospitals etc: give them a budget so they can teach/treat about 10% more than there are pupils/patients. Check regularly wether the amount is still enough. Growing cities need growing budgets, stable cities need decreasing school budgets e.g.

Bursting pipes is a result of funding that is too low on the utility. It is not an area that should be messed with. I have NEVER experienced over supply causing any issues. I start all cities with pumps and not water towers... never had a problem and always leave my supply high.

First, I joined tonight and immediately started a thread, "Faulty Water Department," to ask a question, but can't find it. What am I doing wrong.

Second, I tried to start the thread because parts of my city have lost water service, even though the graph shows supply well above demand. I had invested in a large pump to replace two aging small pumps. After checking to make sure I had an acceptable supply/demand, I reduced funding to take advantage of the large pumps high efficiency -- that was sort of the point of the investment, after all.

The next month, though, I started losing water service, and didn't get full coverage back until I flooded the water department with simoleons. The graph showed supply even farther over demand by a large margin, but easing funding down unwatered buildings. And still the graph shows a large excess of supply.

What is going on?

In the meantime I have read your thread and even had an answer to your question there. Although I'm not sure wether it is the right answer... But I sure hope so.

Thread Information