Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thumbs down Game crashes to desktop

This happened before I bought and installed Rush Hour also. I am playing Rush Hour and I havn't saved for a while because I figure that the rush hour patch would have fixed the ctd problem from the base game. Suddenly I get a black screen and then to desktop I go. No message of any kind, I'm just looking at my desktop and the application is no longer running. This shouldn't happen on my computer. Here's my specs.

Intel Pentium D 3.02 Ghz
    2 Gigs of RAM
    220 Gig HD
    Win XP Pro sp2
    Nvidia 7600 GS 256 MB

EA SUCKS!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    This isn't exclusively an EA thing. It is just something that happens on computers from time to time.

It sounds like some other program on your computer (e.g. virus scanner, email, instant messenger or something like that) tried to do some background task while you were playing. This type of thing will happen from time to time with any type of really processor/memory intensive program that wants exclusive I/O access. I imagine that what happened is that two programs wanted the same resource at the same time or another program over wrote a memory space SimCity was using.

My advice is to make sure you aren't running any tasks in the background that might go and decide to do something on their own. Also remember to save frequently, as these things happen to the best of programs (hence MS Word has auto save).

Just be thankful that, vehicles aren't as unreliable as computers or driving to work/school would be very scary. :eek:
    Ken Barbalace - Mayor of SimCity Forum
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space
    My Google SketchUp 3D Warehouse collections

And you know this crap becuase...

I've been thorugh Cisco Systems Schooling, I've programmed games. I've also seen the crap you gave to someone else you called help about drivers and stuff running in the back ground. I have been through 7 years of schooling, add programming , networking, and everything dealing with computers and I can assure you computers work a lot better than cars. It is hard to break a computer unless you hit it with a hammer or drop it, or unless you have a cheap computer. Viruses and spyware get installed by stupid people not knowing how to operate a computer. And I can tell you that this 'game' needs another patch. I have never had any problem with any other games, this has never happened before. And just to satisfy your unexperienced curiosity I don't get viruses or spyware because I know how computers work. And my computer only has two programs installed on it. (I just did a format and install of Windows XP Pro) My virus and firewall crap and Sim City 4 + Rush Hour Expansion. It did the same thing before, when I had a lot of other crap installed on my computer before I reformatted the HD. No other program ever did that. And EA is notoriuous for unsatisified customers; except for wanna be teenagers who don't know crap.You can reply to this is you realy want to but I'll let you know now I will not come back to look at it. So you can flaunt it around the interent for all I care. My first post was a statement not a question for help.

Blog Entries
    Kidsitter,

First, we don't need trolling or insulting of others on this forum.

Now I will admit I am no hardware expert nor do I want to be. I have; however, been working with computers professionally (corporate IT and independent consulting) since the 1990s. My advice is simply looking for common troubleshooting issues that and effect stability; sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

Given how experienced with computers you claim to be, I'm surprised you are not embarrassed to admit that you did not save your game regularly -- this is such a noobie mistake.

If you have been working in IT as long as you claim, you should know that stuff happens and computers/programs do crash. Does SimCity crash, yes it does, so does MS Word from time to time, so does MSIE, WinXP (not as bad as Win9x thankfully), Firefox, AutoCAD, PhotoShop, etc. Give me 400 brand new identically configured corporate machines and the odds are that least one of them will fart and dump some program in the course of a day.

Sure SimCity will crash more often than AutoCAD, but SimCity costs around $40, not thousands of dollars so it isn't like EA games is going to spend as much money making SimCity rock solid stable as AutoDesk spends making AutoCAD solid.

If there is anything I have learned in life, never trust a computer game, this is a lesson you could do well to learn. Next time instead of insulting those who try to help you, practice an ounce of preventive medicine and save your game on a regular basis.
    Ken Barbalace - Mayor of SimCity Forum
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space
    My Google SketchUp 3D Warehouse collections

I have the same problem, poof, gone like the wind, back to desktop i go, it happens whenever it feels. I seem to think it is a dual core problem. My old laptop was fine, my new one, core 2 duo, crashes. My desktop athlon 64x2, crashes. It crashes in either xp or vista. Also have a friend having the same problem, dual core also. Cannot tie it to anything else.

Angry

I have the same problem: random crash to desktop. It drives me insane! This game needs a new patch, pronto!

{Admin edit: rude comments not allowed. Please be civil} Anyways, I think Ken has a point with what he said, yet I find it interesting that the meister noticed a difference on the dual core processors.... does anyone think that SimCity 4 might be trying to fight itself for I/O access? My technical knowledge is limited to experience but its still pretty good, yet I don't know how the I/O works with a dual core processor. If SimCity 4 was built without the expectation of using "2" processors, could the game confuse itself by requesting exclusive access for I/O that it already has exclusive access for? Just a thought.

I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with video cards. I was having the problem two weeks ago, and after I updated my vid driver, it was just as screwey. The card's a Radeon X1600 with 256MB, I got 2 gigs Ram (which also isn't a problem since even while running SimCity 4, I never use more than about 800 for all programs run. Ya know, im gonna try and turn off my hyperthreading and see if I can run the thing without it falling over drunk. Be back later.

__________________________________________________ _________

OK, so im back, and its been 5 days since I posted here, and for those 5 days Ive been playing simcity 4 almost non-stop, and Ive tried everything I could to crash the game. I took off my hyperthreading thing on the processor in the BIOS. So its definitely a problem with that because I havent crashed in the past 5 days, while before hand the game kept crashing at least once a day.
    Last edited by greendruid85; 08-11-2007 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Update

Hey all, and sorry for the double post, but after the last post I went into my BIOS and turned off HyperThreading for my processor. I haven't had a CTD since I did that. So now, the question is..... are hyperthreading and dual core the same thing? or at least a close corrolary.

Ctd

I too am having the same problem and have experienced it for years. I've been through alot of forums, but other than the occasional mod suggestion, I have not seen any helpful advice. It has crashed on me with only the base program installed as well as RH and of course mods.

To test your theory though greendruid, I am going to turn off hyperthreading on my own pc to see if I can stop the crash to desktop and get back to you. My question is, how will the disabling of hyperthreading affect my cpu performance. I dont plan on doing any heavy computing any time soon so a small drop in processing power isnt a big deal.

I don't know a lot about computers. Except one thing: some day or another every program will crash.
    I experienced some crashes with SC4 also. And I take it is the fate of every computer operator. So, I save from time to time.
    On the Simtropolis Exchange there is also a modd file that adds an Advisor that remids you to save your game from time to time. Maybe useful for some of you?
    I seem not to be able to find it though, at the moment.

Thread Information