Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Mayor of SimCity Forum Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saco Maine
    Posts
    975
    Blog Entries
    1

    Angry Do Not Spam These Forums!

    It seems so individuals see forums like this as their personal spamming grounds and I am tired of banning spammers and removing their threads. From this time forward every spammer who joins these forums only to promote their garbage will have their registration email address publicly posted in this thread such that their email address will become spam bait for other spammers.

    We all know what is and what is not spam and if the only reason you are joining is for the purpose of promoting your crappy links here then you are a spammer.

    Our Spammer Hall of Shame:
    loginneap@web.de 11/29/2006
    loginrnm@web.de 12/05/2006
    keriker@telegraf.by 12/05/2006
    merryjldee@web.de 12/05/2006
    admin@etradeoil.com 12/10/2006
    freetramm@mail333.com
    sls@slsprint.info 12/16/2006
    reg_1122@cg180.net 12/16/2006
    aeronn@telegraf.by 12/17/2006
    webmaster@dredge-armature-loader.com 12/25/2006
    dzumon@altern.org 12/26/2006
    santosko@peugeot-club.org 12/29/2006
    dodikst@gala.net 1/1/2007
    legenticplaza@yahoo.com 1/7/2007
    miutliz@front.ru 1/10/2007
    admin@seoguide.ws 1/16/2007
    Last edited by Ken; 01-16-2007 at 07:00 AM.
    Ken Barbalace - Mayor of SimCity Forum
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space
    My Google SketchUp 3D Warehouse collections

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    It seems so individuals see forums like this as their personal spamming grounds and I am tired of banning spammers and removing their threads. From this time forward every spammer who joins these forums only to promote their garbage will have their registration email address publicly posted in this thread such that their email address will become spam bait for other spammers.

    We all know what is and what is not spam and if the only reason you are joining is for the purpose of promoting your crappy links here then you are a spammer.

    Our first entry in the spammer hall of fame goes to:
    loginneap@web.de 11/29/2006
    Well, I kinda doubt that these spammer's emails are valid in any way, so I doubt making them public will do much.

    As for dealing with them, just go and delete the account outright (but choose to prune all posts first). That's what I do at my site, and we don't have dozens of accounts that are just spam.
    Evermore Forums
    It's my site. Our focus is on videogames in general,
    but you can talk about anything there. Put Lancet Jades as your referrer!

  3. #3
    Mayor of SimCity Forum Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saco Maine
    Posts
    975
    Blog Entries
    1
    Actually everyone has to give me a valid email address when signing up or they don't get the activation message that gets emailed to them. Without confirming that their email address is valid via the link provided in the activation message they can not post any messages (this significantly cuts down on spammers).

    Most of the time I move offending posts to purgatory (for record keeping sake) and ban the offender outright. I'm adding the "hall of shame" as a trick that is done on another forum I frequent. Think of it like a little due justice if they get extra spam and are forced to abandoned their email addresses.
    Ken Barbalace - Mayor of SimCity Forum
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space
    My Google SketchUp 3D Warehouse collections

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    Actually everyone has to give me a valid email address when signing up or they don't get the activation message that gets emailed to them. Without confirming that their email address is valid via the link provided in the activation message they can not post any messages (this significantly cuts down on spammers).

    Most of the time I move offending posts to purgatory (for record keeping sake) and ban the offender outright. I'm adding the "hall of shame" as a trick that is done on another forum I frequent. Think of it like a little due justice if they get extra spam and are forced to abandoned their email addresses.
    Well, I don't mean they aren't valid in that they don't exist or function, but I doubt they're used far beyond just signing up on forums to spam.

    Not that it's a bad idea, I just doubt it'll work that well.
    Evermore Forums
    It's my site. Our focus is on videogames in general,
    but you can talk about anything there. Put Lancet Jades as your referrer!

  5. #5
    Mayor of SimCity Forum Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saco Maine
    Posts
    975
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancet Jades
    Well, I don't mean they aren't valid in that they don't exist or function, but I doubt they're used far beyond just signing up on forums to spam.

    Not that it's a bad idea, I just doubt it'll work that well.
    Heck, they probably won't even know I do this, but I'll still get a little satisfaction out of knowing it could lead to some of them getting more spam of their own.
    Ken Barbalace - Mayor of SimCity Forum
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space
    My Google SketchUp 3D Warehouse collections

  6. #6
    I must say that this system is a very different system compared to other forums that I've been on before.

    Did you come up with it yourself?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •