Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Level of city

Question Level of city

I'm just curious what level people's main city(ies) are at.

My main city is around 65000 people, with a well-developed center, surrounded by crappy, thrown-together pieces of city from before. I rebuilt a good 1/3 of my city, putting together much better public transport, infrastructure, parks, etc, so it looks like a masterpiece, and the rest of it is stagnating as of now. I plan to slowly expand outwards with the rebuilding, but money always gets tight...

Blog Entries
    Make sure to give us regular updates. It could be a good learning expierence for someone.
    Ken Barbalace - Mayor of SimCity Forum
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space
    My Google SketchUp 3D Warehouse collections

Ok, I will, lol. I haven't played it in a while though.

My city is just finally starting to delve into high-tech industries, so its finally picking up. I'm gonna have to put any more reconstruction on hold until I get a LOT more money though.
    Evermore Forums
    It's my site. Our focus is on videogames in general,
    but you can talk about anything there. Put Lancet Jades as your referrer!

My greatest city has around 150,000 people, with plenty of high-tech industry, much commerce, a brand new freeway, and a recent, sudden unexpected number of jobless residences.

Blog Entries
    Currently my main city has 2,100,000+ Sims see my thread: http://simcityforum.com/showthread.php?t=48
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space

I restarted my city, and it is HARD. It seems no matter what I do, it doesn't work...
    Evermore Forums
    It's my site. Our focus is on videogames in general,
    but you can talk about anything there. Put Lancet Jades as your referrer!

Blog Entries
    It often takes me over 100 years to get to the first 1,000,000. First start at 1900 on the easiest setting so that you get the most cash. Next start your city close enough to the confluence of the river and ocean so that you can easily put in water pumps initially (they have to be far enough up stream so as not to be in the tidal area) and put in some sea ports when the Sims start asking for them.

Don't burn through your money too quickly. Keep residential taxes up to at least 8-9 and commercial and industrial taxes at around 3. Don't add new zones until current zones are full. Also, try to create large blocks of a specific zone. For instance I will create a concentrated commercial district, a residential district and an industrial area. Don't put residential next to industrial. Take any offer or free gift that comes along. Also, accept any business deal, except the hazardous waste disposal, Sims really hate that one.

Don't waste your time on low and medium zoning, stick with dense zoning only. Industry likes railroads, so concentrate any railroad building to industrial areas at least in the beginning. Since they use the railroads for freight, industry doesn't care about train stations. Sims like their cars so you'll need roads for them. As long as you are running budget surpluses and have lots of surplus cash, you can start to build bus stations and subways once, they become available. Within the first score years, you will need to take out a loan. Don't borrow more than 50% of what your total credit line is, but do borrow money if you need to fund your city expansion. Finally always build the best power plants you can afford.

You can download my city I'm currently working on from the thread I previously mentioned. When you find the city hall, county court house and mayors mansion, you will know where that city started.

Wow! 2,100,000+ sims...I wish I had a city that big.

Blog Entries
    My current zoning should support 3,000,000+, but Sims don't seem to like being packed like sardines. I figure the theoretical maximum for a large map SimCity is around 4,000,000 if you didn't need the infrastructure like water systems and waste disposal. The big problem is that the national growth rate of Sim Nation slows down around 2100. This means the only way you can grow your population after that is to steal sims from other cities, which isn't easy.

My biggest city is almost 53,000 and refuses to go. I'm beginning to panic every time it drops because it takes a loong time to get back up..

Thread Information